Tournament weekends can be a high-pressure time in captain's lives. As a captain it's a time where you're constantly taking care of others; however, it's also important to focus on yourself! We've created this tournament checklist to help you do both.
Successful leadership teams delegate! Crack the code to a well-organized leadership team with how's, why's, and real team examples!
Check everything off this list and then enjoy your new-found peace of mind by watching a sick pump-up video and hydrating like you’re getting paid to do it!
Make your life a little easier and click here for a printable version of this checklist!
Before you leave campus
- Check the rides spreadsheet. You don't want to leave any players behind!
- Print out or screenshot the tournament field map and the Saturday playing schedule.
- Send out a pre-tournament email giving the team addresses to the hotel and fields.
- Make sure that the first car to arrive at the hotel will be able to check in even if they don't have the credit card used to reserve the rooms.
- Put someone in charge of bringing discs.
- Put someone in charge of the jam-box. (Field tunes are very important!)
- Make sure everyone knows what time they should be at the fields in the morning for warm-up.
- Send out an email or GroupMe message reminding people about team goals.
- Think about what you want to say in the team huddle. Keep it short and to the point!
- First-aid kit
- Extra trash bags if there's even a slight chance of rain
- Clipboard for calling lines
- Printed out line sheets to keep track of who's played and keep score and stats.
- Pencils or pens
- Whiteboard and dry-erase markers for any last-minute explanations or strategizing
- Pump-up playlist
- Spirit gifts for other teams (optional)
Trash bags also make for stylish rompers if you've had it with your muddy shorts. Thanks for the photo, Rose Soiffer-Kosins.
your own gear
While it may seem obvious, it can be easy to forget about yourself when you're babysitting everyone else.
- Cleats (You'd be surprised!)
- Both jerseys
- Extra socks
- Cell phone charger
- Print the checklist!
- Be sure to to the blog so you never miss a post!
- Click here to get better at organizing your leadership team with an inside look at how the pro's do it!
- Let us know if you have more to add to our checklist in the comments below!